Definition: The systematic application of technology to educational realm that is aimed at improving learning and subsequent employability. It is the usage of technology to improve upon education.
It can be attributed as a “A complex, integrated process involving people, procedures, ideas, devices, and organization, for analyzing problems, and devising, implementing, evaluating and managing solutions to those problems, involved in all aspects of human learning”.
Educational technology is sometimes also known as instructional technology or learning technology.
There are several perspectives to defining what is it about. Some of the most commonly occurring perspective’s are;
- From a design research oriented perspective
- From an institutional perspective
- From a fundamental research perspective
- From a technology perspective
- From an implementation perspective there are several examples www.4teachers.org aimed exclusively for educators while web portals like www.cousera.org, www.udemy.com,https://www.udacity.com/ are brilliant manifestations of providing the epitome of quality education absolutely free.
So the question now would be can these web portals like coursera, udacity etc could be substituted for colleges and universities that have mushroomed all around?
If you happen to be student of ICT or are interested in computer programming or even the Arts and the Sciences, then i would suggest you to take a look at the aforementioned websites. Trust me, their course content is from the world’s best educators, clear and succinct and its cost’s not a single penny. 🙂
. Anderson, T. (2003). Models of interaction in distance education: Recent developments and research questions. In Michael G. Moore and William G. Anderson, (eds.) Handbook of Distance Education, Mahwah: Erlbaum, ISBN 0805839240